Exercise is backbone of lifestyle modification but, Nutrition is foundation of the whole system. Weight loss is 90% nutrition, 5% exercise and 5% happy mind set. Without eating correct food, exercise is a total waste in the process of lifestyle modification. So, the important member of our unique team i.e, Dietitian will make you understand the importance of diet and nutrition in the process of weight loss in obese & thin PCOS.
PCOS is hugely linked to enviromental factors. Unhealthy eating like sugary food with high glycemic index, refined foodstuffs, saturated fats, junk food worsen the syndrome of PCOS. Eating right food in form of green leafy vegetables, salad, fruits, nuts promotes weight loss and improve symptoms of PCOS and may reduce the risk of developing chronic disease associated with PCOS such as diabetes, heart disease & endometrial cancer.
We favor ‘Clean Eating’ i.e, eating balanced diet with 1/4 plate carbohydrate, 1/4 plate protein and 1/2 portion of plate is to be contributed by salads and vegetables. Ensure drinking 3 liters of water per day.
In Greek “DIET” = “WAY OF LIFE”
DIET ACTUALLY means ‘Changing your relationship with food’.
Diet does-not mean starvation. This is what we are guiding and reinforcing our patients that how to change their relationship with food.
Food is just a fuel for body and nothing else.
‘Four Principles of Clean Eating’
1. Always ‘EAT’ the minute you wake up i.e, within 15-20 minutes of waking up to kick start metabolism (like can have some fruit e.g. Banana, Apple etc) followed by breakfast within one hour of waking up.
2. Eat every 2-3 hours during the day. Have frequent but small meals to keep the metabolism running.
3. Eat more when you are more active and less when you are less active either physically or mentally.
4. Finish your last meal at least two hours prior to sleeping.
These principles are made so as to increase the basal metabolic rate and turn your body into fat burning machine.
Numerous studies have shown how a healthy and hearty breakfast can increase your metabolic rate.
Five key ideas to Change your Relationship with Food
- Beware of ‘The Sugar Trap’ – Sugar stimulates your appetite and it’s addictive. So be aware as most of the so called healthy breakfast like Cornflakes etc has most prevalent sugar; which is actually a junk food !! So, pay attention to the Ingredient label. Do not be fooled by fat -free treats. They usually have lots of added sugar. Try to Stick to the most natural, whole form of each food.
- Beware of Chemicals – Do not be Fooled by‘Natural Flavoring’. Preservative added in processed food can not be broken by gut bacteria and add up unnecessary toxins in your body.
- Follow Seasonal Eating – Nature itself decides the best, nutrients required by your body as per season and provide them in form of seasonal fruits and whole food available. Your body requires widespread nutrients over year according to the season. Create ‘Seasonal Eating Cycle’ which itself triggers metabolism.
- Get enough of good Nutrients – Many of us suffer from the ‘Starvation of Nutrients’. How much you eat is not always proportionate to the quality of nutrients ingested. So, you must fill yourself with the right amount of macro and micro nutrients.
- Take care of Emotional Hunger – Most of the people do binge-eating when they are sad or depressed; to feel good and even when they are happy just to celebrate; people throw parties, where you do unnecessary overeating. Such behavior with food is called ‘Emotional Hunger’. We thus help you to explore other methods to take care of your emotions.
In nutshell, what you get at PCOS Clinic :
- Entirely different approach to loose or gain weight
- Re-explore your relationship with food
- Learn that food is just a fuel for body and nothing else
We help you to achieve healthy lifestyle which you will love to follow forever!!
PCOS means polycystic ovarian syndrome. PCOS is the pathology of ovaries in which multiple eggs are formed which leads to formation of multiple cysts, get arranged peripherally in ovaries. It is a heterogeneous and heritable disorder which causes reproductive, metabolic and hormonal disturbance in the females.
PCOS is the leading cause of infertility. It is solely responsible for 40% cause of Anovulation hence female infertility. Insulin resistance plays crucial role in the pathogenesis of PCOS which is responsible for androgen excess and leads to anovulation hence infertility.
Remember PCOS is not a disease, only a disorder. On the bright side, statistically 20% of women, who have polycystic ovaries, may not have problems in ovulating or conceiving. Also, with help of ovulation medication nearly 60-70% women will achieve ovulation and 40% of them will conceive over the first 3 attempts.
PCOS presents with an array of symptoms which may vary from person to person. There is a cure for PCOS, provided early diagnosis is made together with implementation of proper integrated approach personalised according to symptoms of patient.
PCOS is diagnosed if two features are positive out of following three:
1.Clinical features/ biochemical hyper-androgenemia (male hormone excess) like weight gain, acne, excess facial hair, irregular menses, scanty/heavy menses, baldness, hair fall, inability to conceive etc.
- Oligo- Ovulation / Anovulation
- Ultrasound appearance of ovaries with multiple cysts arranged peripherally in necklace pattern.
PCOS can present with long term health risks like Type 2 diabetes mellitus, Hypertension, Hyper-lipidemia, Atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, stroke and even Endometrial Cancer in long run, if syndrome is left untreated.
Yes, treatment of PCOS focus on managing your concerns. First line management is Lifestyle Modification so as to enhance your insulin sensitivity. Medication is focused on increasing your insulin sensitivity and correcting the hormonal disturbance. Then Cosmetic, reproductive or metabolic disturbances are taken care of as per patient requirement.
PCOS is a disorder of ovaries (not a disease) which is in-built and heritable so its control and reversal is possible. Complete cure is possible for any disease which happens in lifetime. Its reversal for lifetime requires more of the patient dedication and understanding of the cause of her own disease. Our PCOS specialist tries to involve patient actively in formulating her diet and exercise modification and explain the action of medicines. We have a very peculiar way of treating PCOS. We help our patients to understand the pathogenesis of their disease and once they understand it, they are far more capable to control such a nuisance of PCOS which is known to remain otherwise, for lifetime.