Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS is not known. Factors that plays an important role include:
- Excess insulin level : Insulin is the hormone produced by your pancreas that helps body cells to use glucose which is it’s primary energy supply. If your body cells become resistant to the action of insulin hormone, then your blood sugar level will rise and your body will start producing more insulin. High insulin in blood may increase androgen production in the ovary and lead to difficulty with ovulation.
- Low-grade inflammation : Research has shown that women with PCOS usually have a type of low-grade inflammation that starts stimulating polycystic ovaries to produce male hormone androgen, which leads to heart and blood vessel problems.
- Heredity : Research suggests that certain genes may be linked to PCOS making it a problem which may run in families. Patients with strong family history of diabetes and hypertension are more prone to develop PCOS with metabolic syndrome.
- Lifestyle & Obesity : PCOS is a lifestyle disorder, so a sedentary lifestyle and eating a lot of junk food may predispose one to develop PCOS over the time. Obese patients are more prone to develop insulin resistance hence PCOS.
- Excess androgen : The body produces high levels of androgen, resulting in coarse facial features, unwanted facial hair, acne.
Complications of PCOS can include :
- Diabetes in Pregnancy or pregnancy-induced high blood pressure
- Repeated abortion or premature birth
- Liver steatosis – a severe liver inflammation caused by fat accumulation in the liver
- Metabolic syndrome – conditions like high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol or blood lipid level that significantly increases risk of heart disease
- Diabetes or prediabetes
- Sleep disturbances
- Depression, anxiety and eating disorders
- Abnormal menstrual bleeding
- Cancer of the uterus ( endometrial cancer)
- Increased body weight is associated with PCOS and can worsen complications of the disorder.
To know the cause & treatment of PCOS in your case, book your appointment with the best PCOS doctor in Jaipur.
PCOS means polycystic ovarian syndrome. PCOS is the pathology of ovaries in which multiple eggs are formed which leads to formation of multiple cysts, get arranged peripherally in ovaries. It is a heterogeneous and heritable disorder which causes reproductive, metabolic and hormonal disturbance in the females.
PCOS is the leading cause of infertility. It is solely responsible for 40% cause of Anovulation hence female infertility. Insulin resistance plays crucial role in the pathogenesis of PCOS which is responsible for androgen excess and leads to anovulation hence infertility.
Remember PCOS is not a disease, only a disorder. On the bright side, statistically 20% of women, who have polycystic ovaries, may not have problems in ovulating or conceiving. Also, with help of ovulation medication nearly 60-70% women will achieve ovulation and 40% of them will conceive over the first 3 attempts.
PCOS presents with an array of symptoms which may vary from person to person. There is a cure for PCOS, provided early diagnosis is made together with implementation of proper integrated approach personalised according to symptoms of patient.
PCOS is diagnosed if two features are positive out of following three:
1.Clinical features/ biochemical hyper-androgenemia (male hormone excess) like weight gain, acne, excess facial hair, irregular menses, scanty/heavy menses, baldness, hair fall, inability to conceive etc.
- Oligo- Ovulation / Anovulation
- Ultrasound appearance of ovaries with multiple cysts arranged peripherally in necklace pattern.
PCOS can present with long term health risks like Type 2 diabetes mellitus, Hypertension, Hyper-lipidemia, Atherosclerosis, ischemic heart disease, stroke and even Endometrial Cancer in long run, if syndrome is left untreated.
Yes, treatment of PCOS focus on managing your concerns. First line management is Lifestyle Modification so as to enhance your insulin sensitivity. Medication is focused on increasing your insulin sensitivity and correcting the hormonal disturbance. Then Cosmetic, reproductive or metabolic disturbances are taken care of as per patient requirement.
PCOS is a disorder of ovaries (not a disease) which is in-built and heritable so its control and reversal is possible. Complete cure is possible for any disease which happens in lifetime. Its reversal for lifetime requires more of the patient dedication and understanding of the cause of her own disease. Our PCOS specialist tries to involve patient actively in formulating her diet and exercise modification and explain the action of medicines. We have a very peculiar way of treating PCOS. We help our patients to understand the pathogenesis of their disease and once they understand it, they are far more capable to control such a nuisance of PCOS which is known to remain otherwise, for lifetime.